01  02 

Gloucester Docks Regeneration

In the summer of 1794, a new ship canal was dug to link the navigable parts of the River Severn to a new basin just at the edge of the City of Gloucester. The Basin was opened in 1812 and the Docks were completed by the 1870s. Many warehouses still remain.

The team analysed the role of the site, its links to the retail and historic cores - including the Cathedral - and promoted a masterplan that drew on an urban design, consultation and development framework. JRUD was responsible for urban design consultation and other masterplanning inputs.

The masterplan proposed a mixed use vision for the Docks with development opportunities for housing, waterside activities and a potential cultural focus. The final masterplan was developed with the involvement of key stakeholders and is being implemented.

Client: South West of England Regional Development Agency
Collaborator: Gillespies, Buro Happold, Fielden Clegg Bradley, GVA Grimley